It’s the week of Valentine’s Day, which means that it’s socially acceptable to indulge yourself on candy and baked goods. We all have our favorite store-bought brands—but let’s be honest, homemade is always better. This Valentine’s Day, get together with your significant other or with friends to make delicious, homemade sugar cookies to celebrate the holiday of love.
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
3. Soften butter in the microwave and cream it with sugar until smooth.
4. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
5. Blend in the flour and baking soda mixture until thoroughly combined.
6. Roll dough into teaspoon-sized balls and place on a baking sheet.
7. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown.
8. Let cool before eating or frosting. Makes 24 cookies.
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk
Optional: food coloring
1. Soften butter in microwave, then mix with powdered sugar.
2. Stir in the vanilla and one tablespoon of milk. Test the consistency of the frosting and keep adding milk—a half of a tablespoon at a time—until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
3. If desired, add a few drops of food coloring to make the frosting pink.
4. Spread on the cool sugar cookies, decorate to taste and enjoy!
Staff writer Whitley Brincka contributed to this article.