It’s finally autumn—or, as we should call it, pumpkin spice season. Sometimes vegans feel left out of the fall festivities as everyone enjoys dairy-filled pumpkin spice lattes, donuts and ice cream. This snickerdoodle recipe, however, fits perfectly in the season and tastes so delicious that you won’t even realize it’s vegan. Vegan Pumpkin Spice Snickerdoodles
Makes approximately 24 cookies
1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax seeds and 3 tablespoons water – let soak for 10 minutes)
1 cup Earth Balance vegan butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Beat warmed butter, white sugar and brown sugar together. Beat in the pumpkin puree. Add
flax egg and vanilla extract, then thoroughly combine.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice,
cloves, garam masala, cardamom and salt. Add this mixture slowly into puree mixture in batches, beating thoroughly
as you go.
4. In another separate bowl, combine white sugar and cinnamon. Use a small ice cream scoop to
measure out balls of dough, or eyeball to about 1.5 inches in diameter.
5. Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes until visibly browned. Let cool and harden before eating.