It’s that frustrating time of spring when the weather can’t seem to make up its mind on whether or not winter is really over. Don’t let the lingering chills squelch your vigor; rejuvenate your spirit with a spicy, healthy soup!
1 white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 normal size carrots, peeled and diced
3 cups water
1 cup broth, vegetable or chicken
1/2 cup dried lentils, any color
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. of diced red chili
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. turmeric (optional)
1. Add oil to a large pan or medium pot. Once hot, add garlic and onion. Cook two minutes while stirring gently.
2. Add the carrots and lentils to the pan, cook 30 seconds, continuing to stir.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water or broth if too thick.
4. Add salt to taste, if desired.
5. Add more spice to taste, if you like it intense!